Tuesday, March 17, 2009

On Being an Older Woman

When I was 15 years old I lay on my bed one night trying to figure out what my perfect age would be. I was a young devoted follower of Jesus Christ having been born again at 13. I decided 17 would be perfect. Due to entering school early, I would graduate high school at 17. Ah, to be done with compulsory schooling...to have the freedom to choose what was next without ties to anything holding me back. To know and love God and be 17! Yes, that had to be the perfect age.

Of course, 17 came and went. As much as I would enjoy detailing multiple stages and phases in my life from that time until this, I'll jump ahead to the next time I pondered that question of age. I had just had my fifth child and was 35 years old. I looked ahead and decided that 55 would be, well, perfect! At 55 my youngest would be 20 and on his own. Ah, to have finally finished my child-rearing years...to finally have something to offer others of substance with time and energy to do it! Yes, that had to be the perfect age.

Hmmm, 55 has come and gone. I suppose at this point, my growing age will simply be maturing in its perfection. I am grateful to belong to Jesus, and grateful to be older, though I do tend to wonder if I yet have anything of significant substance to give to others. I take that on faith. Titus 2:3 specifies that ministry to women in the local church must be entrusted to older women of godly character. The term "presbytis" is a term of age. As one lexicon puts it,a presbytis is an "aged woman." So, here I am. I have arrived, by the grace of God. Lord willing, what I write will fulfill the burden on the older godly woman...to teach what is good and "sophronizo" (urge, train, advise, bring to one's senses, encourage...) those who stop by.

No comments:

Post a Comment